Sunday, February 21, 2010

No meat, no problem

If this post is a little choppy, it's because I'm watching the Canada-US game. Please forgive the occasional hockey-related interjection. Okay, so I love steak, chicken, and many other meats, but they are sometimes not the most economical meat options. (Someone in the arena has the biggest Canadian flag ever! And there's red and white everywhere. I'm so proud.) When you feel like cooking without meat, here are some meal ideas, with estimated costs. (Oh man, the States just scored already! Forty seconds in. That's unfortunate.)

Notes about pricing and recipes:
-all prices are regular, not sale, from a discount grocery store- in this case, Food Basics
-I lied. Since I only buy sale cheese, cheese is priced at 5.00$ for 500g
-unless name brand is the only thing available, everything is home brand
-although I love math, for the sake of my sanity, I'm not factoring in the cost of a teaspoon of salt or sugar or vinegar. Consider it minimal, like a cent or two.
-I'm linking to recipes where they are available, or to the cookbook from whence they came

2 Weeks of Meatless Meals
(Commentator- there are 6 Americans named Ryan? You mean on the US team, or in the whole country?)

1. Southwest Sweet Potato Soup: makes 4 servings
Sweet potato: 0.80$
Potato: 0.30$
Onion: 0.17$
Oil: 0.04$
Chicken bouillon: 0.68$
Optional jalapeno: 0.20$
Corn: 0.08$
Total: 2.27$
(Canada just scored!! Celebrate! Way to go, Staal, Seabrook & Toews)

2. Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas: makes about 5 quesadillas, then a quiche. I heavily modified the recipe, omitting green onions, celery, red pepper and jalapeno, and swapping cheddar for feta cheese. This is so my hubby will eat the final product.
Sweet potato: 0.80$
Can o' black beans: 1.10$
Potato: 0.30$
Onion: 0.04$
Oil: 0.04$
Tortillas: 0.23$/each -we usually use 5, so it'd be 1.15$
Total: 3.43$
(What! The Americans answered back right away. And Baby D just started crying; I don't blame her, and neither does Mike Babcock.)

3. Quiche: makes 6 servings
We use the leftover mixture from the quesadillas, so it's just the cost of the crust. If you're really curious, the mixture itself is 2.28$, so 1.14$ of that goes to the quiche.
Flour: 0.20$, for 2 cups
Shortening: 0.63$
3 Eggs: 0.54$
Cheese: 1.00$, for 1 cup shredded
Milk: 0.25$
Total: 2.62$
(Heatley scored for Canada, evening out the score at the beginning of the 2nd period!)

4. Perogies and Zucchini Latkes- makes 2 servings, and was, incidentally, today's lunch
Perogies: 0.08$ each, we had 15 total for 1.20$
Zucchini: 0.50$
Onion: 0.17$
2 Potatoes: 0.30$
Oil: 0.04$
Flour: 0.03$
Egg: 0.18$
Total: 1.00$
(Aw man! The US just took the lead again. 3-2)

5. Corn Chowder: makes 3-4 servings
Corn:0.32$
Potato: 0.15$
Onion: 0.17$
2 bouillon packets: 0.34$
2 cups milk: 0.50$
Flour: 0.01$
Total: 1.49$

6. Fettuccine Alfredo: makes 2 generous servings
Whipping cream: 0.50$
Fettuccine: 0.60$
Parmesan cheese: 1.33$
Garlic bread: 2.00$
Total: 4.43$
(Now 4-2 for the States from a power play goal. Rats.)

7. Grilled cheese and Couch Potatoes and Peas: makes 2 servings of sandwiches, 2-3 generous servings of couch potatoes, and 2 servings of peas
5 potatoes: 0.75$
Oil: 0.12$
Cheese: 0.75$
Bread: see bottom
Peas: 0.16$
Total: 1.78$
(We're almost back in this thing! 4-3, come on boys! My hubby says Crosby is the man!)

8. Butternut Squash Soup: makes 4-6 servings
Squash: 3.16$ out of season...ouch
Onion: 0.17$
Oil: 0.04$
Chicken bouillon: 0.85$
Total: 4.22$

(Wow, we were playing with so much heart before that empty net goal.)

9. Macaroni and Cheese Not from a Box: makes 4 generous servings
Macaroni: 1.00$
Flour: 0.02$
Milk: 0.50$
Cheese: 3.00$
Total: 4.52$

10. Pizza From the Ground Up : makes 2 12" pizzas
Flour: 0.35$
Yeast: 0.14$
Oil: 0.04$
Tomato paste: 0.59$
Green pepper: 1.45$
Onion: 0.17$
Cheese: 2.00$
Total: 4.74$

I'd add another 3.00$ for a loaf and a half of bread to go with the soups and the grilled cheese sandwich, and that's it.

Your cost for 2 weeks' dinners (including leftovers for lunches): 33.50$

(Come on, Canada! We've still got another chance at getting to the quarterfinals)

1 comment:

  1. Becky,
    I love your blog! I've been trying to get my own finances straight lately so I've started being really conscious about how I spend my money... especially on food. I'm actually enjoying the challenge of making great meals without spending a lot of money (I've turned it into a game for myself). Keep up the great work :)
    Fiona P.

    ReplyDelete