Tuesday, March 2, 2010

On hospitality

Just a quick post today, my lovelies! For the past eight weeks or so, I've been participating in a multi-generational Bible study based on Titus 2, which, among other things, sets out what the older women in a church are to teach the younger. It's now the final week of the study, and we're focused on hospitality. One of the questions asked in what ways we've been encouraged or discouraged by various influences, including family, church, North American culture. I thought about my own family (my parents and siblings), and what immediately came to mind were friends of theirs who have come to be like family. These friends (a husband, wife, and the wife's mom) are refugees in Canada, and we've known them for about three years. The wife, B, is battling breast cancer for the second time, and is currently in hospital with an infection. It's also becoming clear that she has months, not years, to live.

When my parents went to visit B and her husband T in the hospital, B actually gave them a gift! This is characteristic of her generous nature: despite limited funds, she gave my husband and I a housewarming gift when we moved last year, and a sweet outfit for baby D back in the fall. She loves to entertain people for meals, and spends all day preparing incredible food in incredible amounts.

The last question in this week's study: can you think of one way you could show hospitality to someone at this time? I thought about B. My first instinct was to knit her something soft, warm, and pretty. Then I remembered a pattern I had seen. And beautiful wool a friend had given me. And how God doesn't require anything but a willing heart when it comes to sharing with others. So that's what I'll be doing for the next little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment