Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I felt the earth move under my feet

This afternoon, after getting home from a lovely visit with my former colleagues (baby D in tow, of course), I was sitting on the couch with my laptop and baby D was napping in her swing. I heard a loud rumbling and the house started shaking, so naturally I assumed one of my neighbours was using power tools. Imagine my surprise when I ran to the back window and saw that there were no power tools in sight! I didn't want to think that it might be an earthquake, but I picked up baby D from her swing and headed outside anyway to see what the neighbours thought. Honestly, while it was going on (which was well under a minute but felt much longer), it was a little scary; I had no control over my house and all I wanted to do was protect my daughter. Nevertheless, we both were pretty calm (although D was none too impressed to be awoken from her slumber).

Across the street, our neighbours' 5-year-old wanted to talk about nothing but the earthquake (or "the earth on the ground was shaking" as she hypothesized before the term earthquake was even bandied about); her parents wanted to talk about anything but the quake, so as to avoid freaking out their 2-year-old, who was mostly unaware that anything of significance had happened and was vaguely pleased to see D.

In the ensuing hour or so, I got in touch with Hubby and both my sisters to let them know we were okay (one of whom was in a local mall at the time, and the other of whom was getting ready for work in New Zealand). I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the rapid-fire status updates on Facebook, letting me know that the quake reached Southern Ontario and beyond.

Anyway, apparently it was a 5.0 magnitude earthquake with the epicentre near Buckingham, Quebec. After checking the house (or at least the upstairs) for any damage, I am pleased to report that we only had a toppled picture frame in the guest room.
This is not from today, but I thought it was cute. D is wearing ear protection because Hubby was using a nail gun of sorts to affix the railing posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment