Monday, May 30, 2011

What a summer's day should be

After a long week of rain, D and I were keen to be back outside in the sunshine. Today did not disappoint; even though we slept in a little (8:30ish), we were outdoors as soon as breakfast was over. D wore her new checked romper, and it is fantastic! This weather definitely calls for simple, one-piece cotton outfits, not to mention copious applications of sunscreen.

First, we played in the backyard while I hung up laundry (another tremendous advantage of sun: it takes way less time to dry than hanging clothes indoors). We were given a toddler swing, and our porch happens to have big sturdy hooks underneath, so we put it up last week. Swings and slides are D's favourite park items, so it helps to have one of each at home. Following laundry, we headed out for a walk with bottles of water and a camera. On the way to the bigger park (with swings and a gazebo), we passed the one around the corner, which was being cleaned up from some gross weekend graffiti. Honestly, kids, find a better use for your time. I guess the clean-up guys got the bigger park first, because they had left wet paint signs on the picnic table under the gazebo, which I didn't see until I had already sat down. Good thing the area I chose happened to be dry, because I happened to be wearing my new maternity jean shorts for the first time!

We didn't stay long at the park; the slides were too hot (it was 11am by this point), and the swings were in constant use, although I employ that term loosely. A couple of moms had stuck their toddlers in the swings while they chatted and watched their other kids. D was a little sad, so I went on one of the big-kid swings with her on my lap to cheer her up. We headed home for lunch after she tried to walk off an open section of play structure (I caught her by the back of the romper and pulled her to safety).

I started lunch, then decided to fill the kiddy pool a little so D could have a splash after lunch, and hopefully tucker herself out sufficiently for a nap. The water from the garden hose comes straight from the Arctic Ocean, and I thought it best to leave the pool in the sun to warm up a little. We had a picnic lunch on the porch (egg sandwiches, pickles, carrots, cucumber, cherries and chocolate chip cookies), and it was so lovely that I want to do it as often as is reasonable this summer! I had already brought out D's swimsuit, towel, and a few bath toys, but I couldn't find her swim diaper. It ended up being easier to just put her in the pool stark naked, and she splashed to her heart's content.

About 20 minutes later, she tired of the pool, and I wondered if she might be persuaded to nap. I got her a diaper and a bottle of milk, and set off on another walk with her in the stroller, fully reclined. We went around the block twice, and she didn't fall asleep, so I decided we'd go to my dad's office for a visit. One of his secretaries had made D a summer dress, and she would be in that afternoon. The dress is gorgeous! Sleeveless, pink cotton with brown and white polka dots, and a big sash. I'll have to post a picture sometime. Anyway, our visit was brief but fun, and as an added bonus, D fell asleep on the way home. We napped together on the couch until Hubby got home just before 5. All in all, a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment