Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Busy June days

In my former working life, I was a high school teacher. Today, I watched the group of kids I taught in grade 9 graduate. Or at least walk into the auditorium. There's a tradition at that school whereby teachers (the ones not sitting on the stage for commencement ceremonies) applaud the grads as they walk into the auditorium, and I was able to join them. D and my young charge E were with me (E graciously waited in the stroller, plied with Cheerios). Because the students had to pause every now and then as they filed in, a few of them asked me if I had two kids now, and I'd pat my belly and say that I would soon enough. D was very excited to clap for all of them, and she smiled the whole time.

It was amazing- I hardly recognized some of the students! Actually, when I was navigating our stroller into the school, a tall gangly kid opened the door for me, and I didn't realize until later that he was a student of mine three years (and about a foot) ago. I taught over a hundred of the kids graduating today, and coached a dozen more in volleyball, so it was really neat to see them almost all grown up. I wish we could have stayed around for the reception afterwards, but the girls were getting tired and overexcited.

We were there for about an hour and a half altogether, and most of that was spent visiting with former colleagues. I got to catch up a bit with my old department (Immersion & Geography), and they all got to see how much D has grown and changed! We hadn't been there since Hallowe'en, when she wore her little lion costume, which is the school's mascot. My mentor was there with her three daughters (she's on mat leave until the winter), and three of the girls who supply taught when I first worked there are now pregnant as well!

It's just about time for bed now; we have another big day ahead of us tomorrow. The royal couple will be arriving at Rideau Hall tomorrow, and my mom, D and I will be joining the throngs of proud Canadians to welcome them. I'm hoping that, because it's a Thursday and not a holiday, it won't be too crazy, but you never know. I still have to pick out what we'll be wearing, and hopefully I'll remember to take and post pictures here!

No comments:

Post a Comment