Friday, July 8, 2011

Early adventures in potty training

We weren't planning on even introducing D to a potty until after Cashew arrives. But on Tuesday night during her bath, she was tooting up a storm in the bath, so Hubby popped her on the toilet to avoid a big clean-up. We praised her, and I was so thrilled that I went down and got the potty we had waiting in the basement. I put it in her bathroom and forgot all about it until the next morning when I was changing her before breakfast. She noticed it and said "pee on potty?" (She knew what it was because she had seen a friend using one last week.) So I took her diaper off, and she sat on the potty, stood up, sat down, and after about the third try, she actually peed! I celebrated again by having her tell Daddy on the phone what she had done. Later on, we went to Winners and she picked out her own underwear, even choosing the generic patterned ones (5/5.99$) over the Tinkerbell ones (3/5.99$).

More or less whenever she's asked to sit on the potty in the past couple of days, I've let her. It's also been warm enough outside for her to play without a diaper on, which she did for awhile yesterday, although she peed on her slide instead of the potty. We're just trying to take it easy, make the potty available to her as often as she likes, and not get fussed about the inevitable accidents. We did buy her some little treats from Bulk Barn, and told her that she can have one if she pees or poops on the potty. Tonight, after her bath, she was hanging out sans diaper, and told me she had to go, so we made our way to the bathroom, and she sat right down. She had a toy with her, and asked me to sing her a song (maybe to help her concentrate?), and almost right away, she pooped! We celebrated again and gave her a treat.

It's only the beginning, I know it's going to be a challenge, and I'm already seeing how much patience I'll need with her. I'm glad that she's so keen to sit on the potty, but she'll sit down and get up ten times in a row. I don't want to get frustrated with her, or stop taking her to the potty when she asks. Still, it's SO cool that she's interested in the process and taking initiative!

No comments:

Post a Comment