Thursday, January 5, 2012

Food frugality in 2012

Although I haven't calculated the totals yet, I'm pretty sure we didn't overspend on food during the past month of festivities and such. To be fair, I've only done two proper grocery shops including meal-planning since M was born (now 10 weeks ago), and a number of quick dashes to various stores. Regardless, I want to make food savings a priority in 2012. One strategy I'm particularly excited about it getting into a new cookbook.

Now, I have more cookbooks than I really need, but this one is something special. It was sent to me by my friend Morgan a few months ago, who discovered it as a resource to help social work clients. It's called The Basic Shelf Cookbook, and it was designed in 1987 by the City of York Health Unit for penniless students, senior citizens on a fixed income, families on a tight budget, etc. Not only are the recipes frugal, they are also nutritious and (I assume will be) delicious. As the title would suggest, the "basic shelf" refers to non-perishable items, and the authors provide a list of grains, meat alternatives, seasonings, baking ingredients, produce that can be kept for a long time without refrigeration (in most cases). They also have nutritional information for each recipe, an excellent substitution list and lots of tips on getting the most out of what you buy.

I'm very much looking forward to testing out several of these recipes for some special visitors we'll be having two weeks from now: my in-laws! And they're bringing an uncle with them, so I'll get to see what it's like cooking for five adults (and one toddler). I've started the meal-planning already, and we're using some of our Christmas money to invest in a chest freezer, which means I may even get some of the cooking out of the way before they arrive. The biggest challenge, I think, will be lunches, since D and I tend to keep it very simple: dinner leftovers, PB & J, egg salad, tuna sandwiches, and the like. I don't imagine we'll have a ton of leftovers, and I don't think most people would enjoy such basic sandwiches day after day. We'll see how it all plays out.

Eat well for less, doctor's orders!

1 comment:

  1. Hope the cookbook works out for you. As for you concerns about lunches- I know I'd totally be onboard with sandwiches of any variety. Also I was oddly excited to hear that you're getting a chest freezer. I love appliances.

    ReplyDelete