Friday, October 5, 2012

A Madeline cake

It started a couple of months ago when I asked D what kind of cake she would like for her birthday. A slow smile crept over her face as she said "A Madeline cake."

I thought I'd do a practice one before her birthday playdate, just in case it didn't work out. (It turned out well enough that I see no need to repeat the process. We'll have other snacks instead.) Anyway, today D helped me make the cake:



Then, while the girls had quiet time upstairs, I started the decorating part. A crumb coat first:



A rough sketch of Madeline, based on Google image results:



Very rough.



I mixed some colours and filled in the blanks. (Cake decorators, avert your eyes from the next sentence.) I used the back of a baby spoon to spread the icing, figuring anything else would take too long and end up looking pretty much the same. I think it's fine.



I outlined with chocolate icing, which looked so bad that I had to make the background chocolate as well. Had to.



Happy birthday, D! Mommy loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment