Friday, March 8, 2013

Finishing for Frances

My friend Mary showed up to our Wednesday Bible study with several bags full of yarn and unfinished projects; I'd been expecting these, as her mother-in-law Nancy had told me she'd be sending them soon. Nancy's mom passed away recently, and she left behind some knitting that was nearly done. Nancy asked me if I'd have a look at the pieces and see if I could finish them, and I agreed. 

The items were all baby clothes, mostly intended for little girls who hadn't yet materialized (this being a family where the grandkids are almost exclusively boys!). Beautiful, intricate patterns that she most likely had memorized, knit in fine pastel acrylics.When I laid the work out on my dining room table, I counted seven pieces to be finished, and I had no idea how long it would take. It's Friday now, and I have so far finished a pink dress and an ivory sweater. I'll need to get a few notions (a zipper, some ribbon, and lots of buttons), and each item will be carefully hand-washed and dried once it's done. 


This isn't something I'd normally do, but for some reason I felt drawn to it. I'm honoured to be able to finish the knitting of a woman who raised a wonderful family, even though I never knew her. And the timing couldn't be better: just a few weeks ago, her granddaughter gave birth to her third child and first girl. Little Lauren Audrey, I have a gift for you from your great-grandma Frances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment