Saturday, December 14, 2013

Quite the complicated haircut

Hubby's work Christmas party is tonight, and I haven't had my hair cut since July, so I thought it would be a good idea to get it done this morning. Unfortunately, I waited too late and couldn't get an appointment with my usual hairdresser, so I decided to go to a nearby hairdressing school. The mall where it's located didn't open until 9:30, and the school didn't start appointments until 10:30 (even then, it's on a first-come first-served basis). Luckily my parents live near there, so I dropped M at their house with the understanding that I'd need to pick her up by 12, because they had to go out then. I got to the mall around 9:45, and I had planned to do a bit of shopping anyway, so I did that first. After debating whether it was worth the time risk, I decided to go for it.

The girl to whom I was assigned was very new; I could see her checklist at her station, and she had only done 3 women's haircuts before. Because I wanted to keep my long layers, after my shampoo I was reassigned to one of the advanced students. By then it was getting close to 11am, and I started to worry about meeting D's bus. Unless I was done and out of there in the next half hour, there was no way I'd have time to pick up M, drive home, and get to the bus stop on time. I texted a wonderful neighbour (whose daughter is on the same bus as D), and she agreed to get D from the bus. Then I called the school to let them know who would be picking D up. That would buy me enough time to finish the cut.

I was nervously watching the clock all through my appointment. Two girls blow-dried my hair, and one of the instructors put the finishing touches on some face-framing layers. I got my coat and bags and practically sprinted to the car.

As a general rule, I don't use my cell phone in the car; today was an exception. I had texted my mom to let her know the timeline, but she checks her phone about as often as I do, so I called her when I was en route. I loaded M into the car, remembered to give my mom a birthday gift to pass on to my sister (whom she'd be seeing later today), and booked it home. On the way, my phone rang, and even though I didn't recognize the number, I picked up. It was the school bus authority, checking to make sure I had okayed someone else to get D from the bus stop. My neighbour also texted me around the same time, asking me to call them. It all got straightened out, and within about 10 minutes I was at the neighbour's to bring D home for lunch. She was having way too much fun, so my neighbour said D could stay until after lunch if it was okay with me. Heck yes it was!

M was asleep in her car seat when we pulled into the driveway, so I carried her inside like a sack of potatoes. She had her lunch and then headed upstairs for a nap, only throwing a minor tantrum. D came home about an hour later, and from the sounds of things, both girls must be sound asleep. Good thing, too! We've got a sitter tonight, and I wouldn't want to leave anyone with those girls when they haven't napped.

No comments:

Post a Comment