Friday, April 18, 2014

Inclement weather two-in-one activity

How disappointed we were with the weather today! Cold, gray, threatening to rain. Even yesterday was a bit cold for the park, although we went anyway. Today, that was not an option. Hubby did have to work, but not until late in the morning, so I had a long, lovely bath before my day really got started. He got the girls a fancy breakfast of crepes, which they top only with granulated sugar. Weirdos.

I had just over an hour til lunch, so I set the girls up with two of their favourite activities, which go rather nicely together. First, painting:

 I dole out a small amount of paint (keeping dark colours minimal for M; as you can see, she goes straight to mixing), and give them giant colouring pages or white paper, sponges and paintbrushes, smocks. This will keep them happy for up to half an hour, depending on how many papers they get.

While they are painting, I clear the countertop areas around the sink, and fill each sink with warm soapy water. When the girls finish, we pop all the sponges and paintbrushes (and plates, if I don't use paper ones) in the sink, along with some measuring cups and spoons. If I have enough presence of mind, I put a big towel on the floor under their chairs, and hang a dishtowel on the back of one chair. This will occupy them for quite a length of time, and takes care of the worst of the clean-up.

Whether it's super hot or cool and rainy this summer following Sesame's arrival, this is likely a combination of activities I'll use often. I could see it working best for times when I need to sit and nurse, and the girls need something to keep them from going stir-crazy. Poor kids, there probably won't be as many park outings as they'd like. We'll do what we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment