Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The first workout

After a profitable meeting with Cristy a couple of weeks ago, I did my first at-home workout on the plan she made for me. This is what it looked like:
-lunges with a twist (holding a 5 lb free weight): 2 sets of 10
-hamstring curls on stability ball (the pink one Hannah got me- thanks, sis!): 2 sets of 10
-chest flies with 5 lb weights on stability ball: 2 sets of 12
-bicep curls: 2 sets of 12
-tricep kickbacks: 2 sets of 12
-crunches on stability ball: 2 sets of 12

There was also a one-armed row using the weight bench, which I omitted because a) the weight bench is in the basement, and I'm not; and b) I didn't find it worked the muscles it was supposed to work, and it seemed like the kind of thing that could bring injury if not done properly.

Altogether, my workout took half a Starfield CD to complete (just under 25 minutes), and baby D's been napping in her crib the whole time. (It's amazing how waking up early means she takes two decent naps in a day rather than little twenty-minute siestas here and there.) A couple of things I need to do next time: first of all, wear shoes. My balance isn't as good without them, and I know it leaves me a lot more open to injury if I'm not suitably shod. Second, I have to do the requisite stretching at the end. Which I think I'll go do now; I was just so excited about this that I had to post right away!

To sum up:
At home workout...
Personal trainer: 35$/hr (I had purchased 3 hrs, for a total of 105$)
Stability ball: gift
Free weights: purchased for maybe 10$ a number of years ago
Motivation required: put on gym clothes, go downstairs, set up music on laptop
Total of 115$, good until my muscles get too used to the exercises (but I can also mix it up with the pre-baby workout I had, or any exercises I find in magazines or online)

Vs gym membership...
50$ per month
Motivation required: put on gym clothes, drive 15 minutes each way, remember to bring pass and MP3 player
Total of 600$ a year

Considering my current workout is all paid for, I think I'll take the former for 115$, Alex!

1 comment:

  1. I find its really hard to motivate myself without paying the money for a gym membership, but I'm glad it works for you!

    ReplyDelete