Saturday, April 3, 2010

The "hostess" (cupcakes) with the mostess!

My parents came over for dinner this evening, and since they were kind enough to bring some delicious steaks to BBQ (cooked and seasoned to perfection), I figured they would like a nice dessert to accompany it. Awhile back, I ran across a recipe on my favourite food blog (Smitten Kitchen) for homemade Ding Dongs (or their Canadian equivalent, Jos Louis) and just LOVED the look of them! I knew it would be unwise, though, to make them for just the hubby and me, so I seized the opportunity to test them out.















A couple of modifications: I didn't use the recipe for chocolate cake that was listed because I have a really good one that's super easy to make. I also made cupcakes rather than one giant cake, since it lent itself nicely to portioning out. The marshmallow fluff-like frosting was unbelievable! The hubby, who loves all foodstuffs unnatural, asked me if I could make a batch of this just for him to eat sometime. And although I mixed the ganache ingredients in the wrong order (and used table cream instead of whipping cream), it still turned out! I really appreciate a forgiving recipe.


You'll notice in the photos that hubby made a modification of his own. While I was assembling the cupcakes, he requested extra marshmallow topping rather than ganache. As you'll also notice from the last photo, he was quite pleased with the result.

The moral of the story is threefold:
1) When you want cooking or baking inspiration, look no further than Smitten Kitchen.

2) If and when you make this, cleanup must occur within a very short time frame, as marshmallow frosting is the culinary equivalent of super glue.

3) Don't make a delicious dessert unless entertaining many honoured guests. We're bringing leftovers to Easter lunch tomorrow. If they last the night.


1 comment:

  1. They look amazing! Well done, Becky. I may have to try that recipe, also (good call on waiting until you have company, though... I don't think a batch of these would help B-rad and I with our pre-wedding diet!). Have you checked out Bakerella? They have some cool recipes, too :)

    ReplyDelete