Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Roast vegetable and bean stew

A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across a bunch of vegetarian dinner recipes and I've been trying them out this week. We had Tomato Clafoutis on Sunday, Cheesy Linguine Stuffed Peppers yesterday, and then tonight we had the best one so far: Roast Vegetable and Bean Stew. It's so good that I can't keep it from you. Healthy, hearty, savoury, frugal, and surprisingly quick to make for a stew- everything I look for in a dinner recipe. We hadn't even finished eating when Hubby gave me a high five and approved the new addition to our menu rotation. (Did I mention he's a highly selective eater?)

Original source: Best Health magazine (shout-out to Alicia!)

I adapted it a little so that I didn't have to buy anything out of the ordinary, and I'd encourage you to do the same. Also, I had a terrible time finding vegetable stock! Food Basics did me wrong. It wasn't with the regular bouillons but rather in the international foods aisle.

1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
2 Tbsp vegetable oil [my dietitian sister would tell you olive oil isn't heat stable and shouldn't be used for cooking]
2 cups vegetable broth
1 19oz can of beans (pinto, navy, garbanzo, whatever you've got), rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss vegetables with oil. Spread out on a 9x13 baking dish or roasting pan and sprinkle with herbs and garlic.
Bake for 20 minutes, then broil on low for 10 minutes. (This is instead of baking for 30 minutes and flipping them halfway through. I don't like flipping.)
Add beans to baking dish and pour vegetable broth over top. Bake for another 30 minutes or so. (Alternatively, turn the heat down to 350, take a nap, and have dinner ready when you wake up.)
Serve with whole wheat toast and cheddar cheese planks to make it a complete meal!

Seriously good. It would probably adapt nicely to whatever vegetables are in season where you live. Do yourself a favour and make this next time it's cold and dreary. And maybe listen to Glee's version of Hello while you're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment