Wednesday, October 6, 2010

On the eve of baby D's first birthday

Our sweet baby D is about to turn one year old tomorrow! I've been thinking about her birthday party since the summer, and planning for a couple of months now. I got her presents, made invitations, knitted a hat, ordered balloons and, just tonight, bought her a dress. At the same time, I didn't want to go overboard, since her party is really for us. (I have it on reliable authority, as a former baby myself, that she will remember none of this.)

When I began shopping, I took issue with the kind of decorations I was expected to buy, if retailers are to be believed. Everything is Disney Princesses and Dora for girls, and Cars for boys. Sesame Street is considered gender neutral. The problem from where I stand is that these are all licensed characters and not particularly original. Otherwise, a local party store offered a pile of 1st-birthday-specific items (hats, streamers, banners, buttons, loot bags, etc), but only in pink or blue, and all fairly expensive. My only other option seemed to be to create my own theme, specific to Baby D, and shop around to find what I wanted. Here's where we ended up:

Theme: Sweet little chicken (one of our many nicknames for her)
Colours: Brown and pink
Invitations: Brown cardstock eggshells with white cardstock back, and stickers spelling out "Breaking News!" on the front (Dollarama, 7$ for 15 invites)
Decorations: Pink and brown helium balloons and streamers (Party Mart, 20$ for 2 rolls of streamers and 10 balloons); 32 handmade pink and brown paper chickens to be hung with clothespins and repurposed as thank-you cards (Dollarama, 1$); brown and white gingham tablecloth, pink napkins, white plates and white cups (Dollarama, 4$)
Food: Chicken nuggets, homemade potato wedges, veggie tray, pink cake with chocolate icing, Neapolitan ice cream and punch (Food Basics, prices to be determined)

Not including food or presents, this party has so far only cost me 32$. I'm okay with that. Also, I'm already considering a fall foliage theme for next year's party, since those colours are way easier to find at this time of year!

By the way, this is what D will be wearing to the festivities:

2 comments:

  1. Aww so sweet! I wish I lived near you guys to celebrate, it sounds like a VERY lovely party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I could have been there, no invite has arrived in the mail yet, how sad!

    ReplyDelete