Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stew for a winter's night



If I were Gordon Lightfoot, I would write a song about it. If you're in the mood for beef stew, this is the one to make. It was the one I had growing up, usually in the winter. It was so good that I almost feel bad for you if your childhood didn't include a similar version (sorry, vegetarians). As a result, I have no time for any other beef stew, especially flavourless or watery ones. You need a bunch of cheap ingredients, a crock pot, and about 8 hours. Make that 10.

Oil or shortening
Stewing beef
8 cups water
4 packets beef bouillon
1 packet onion soup mix
2 cups chopped potatoes
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup peas
1/2 cup flour

Heat the oil or melt the shortening in a pan over medium heat. Add the stewing beef and lightly brown it, turning with tongs to make sure all sides are browned. Transfer to crock pot, leaving fat in pan. Add 4 cups of the water, the bouillon, and the onion soup mix. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
Peel and chop carrots; scrub and chop potatoes; add carrots and potatoes to crock pot, along with 4 more cups water. Cook on high for 2 more hours
Using a ladle or turkey baster, draw out 2 cups of the stew broth. Add to a bowl with 1/2 cup of flour, and whisk until smooth. Pour into crock pot. Cook another hour or two until broth has thickened to a gravy-like texture.

Serve with bread.


I polished off my share of the stew too fast to take a picture, so I quickly called Hubby and asked if he could photograph whatever was left of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment