Saturday, March 26, 2011

The yoga class the first

Yoga class kicked off on Thursday; luckily, even though Hubby had Bible study that evening, the timing worked out that he was able to look after baby D while I was out. It took while to get started, because there were forms for everyone to complete, and the instructor explained how we'd spend our hour together. Also, I felt a bit silly for bringing shoes, since you go barefoot or sock-foot in this class. However, I did have the presence of mind to dig out my old purple yoga mat from the closet AND actually clean the dust off.

I wasn't expecting to find the class physically challenging; I mean, I've done yoga before, and I'm not competitive, so I know to go at my own pace and just watch the instructor and myself, rather than the other participants. Anyway, some of the poses were difficult to hold! We did one that was sort of a squat, with the feet pointing outwards, and the instructor was talking and lost track of how long we were supposed to hold the pose. I did the best I could, but had to stop ages before everyone else did.

A lot of it felt like stretching, which was nice. I'd had a bad headache all day, and was planning to hit up my dad's clinic for a chiro adjustment the next day, but I felt so much better after yoga. (It also helps that I have a new crazy-looking pillow that's not memory foam and doesn't hurt my neck.) The only weird thing about the class was that, at the end, the instructor had us sing a song about the long-time sun shining upon us and our pure hearts guiding us home. She had said earlier on that if any pose gave us discomfort that we could stop, so I extended that to mean that since the song made me feel awkward, I didn't have to sing it. So I didn't, and all was well. Looking forward to next week! And who knows, if I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I may try doing my own yoga at home as a supplement.

No comments:

Post a Comment