Monday, May 9, 2011

Spring evening

After a morning of cleaning and an afternoon of napping, it was with great delight that D and I welcomed Hubby home from work. He was very enthused about the weather (18 degrees and sunny), and suggested we go for a walk. Actually, he was going to take D and leave me to my knitting, which would have been lovely, but I was keen to get some exercise. We had a nice 45-min walk with D in her stroller, and got home in good time to make a BBQ dinner, which we enjoyed on the porch. Our mealtime entertainment was provided by the kids next door, who were playing basketball; the younger brother was asking his older sisters all kinds of questions, my favourite of which was "is Lady Gaga's mom Madonna?"

Following dinner, D was a busy little bee, flitting from her slide to the driveway to the tulips (which we suspect were uprooted from our neighbour's garden by squirrels and transplanted in ours) to the car, where she hopped into the front seat, patted the passenger seat for Daddy to join her, then enthusiastically waved "bye-bye" before placing both hands on the steering wheel and pretending to drive away. Hubby minded her and I seized the opportunity to do the spring cleaning task I was dreading most: cleaning out the green bin. I even put a sad face next to it on my list.

I had a three-pronged plan of attack: rinse with the garden hose, dump in baking soda and vinegar, then rinse with boiling water. It looks way better than it did, and I repurposed the water (except for the vinegar/baking soda stuff, which went into the gutter) to a sad little patch of the lawn. The progress did not warrant photos.

While I finished with the green bin and brought our dinner dishes inside, Hubby bathed D (who needed it- the kid was a mess, albeit a very happy one). I diapered and dressed her, she had a bottle, we both read her stories, and she was in bed by 8. So all this fun spring evening biz took place in about 4 hours. It felt like a long, luxurious summer afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment