Sunday, July 17, 2011

Our Saturday: Farmer's market, new dress and dinner with friends

We finally got our act together and made it to the farmer's market this weekend! (This meant no checking out garage sales, though, as Hubby was out of town, and D's patience in the car was limited.) I didn't bring much cash, only about 10$, and I didn't want to spend it all in one place. A friend had told me that there's a great bakery stand, and we actually ran into her and her two daughters in line there when we arrived! The market opens at 8, and we got there just before 9. The line-up for the bakery wasn't too bad, and after checking out the other stalls, there was enough of a lull that we jumped in. As we drew closer, I recognized the name (Art-is-in) as a supplier for a local caterer I worked at a few summers ago. I also remembered how good their breads were. We decided on a reasonably-priced baguette (3$), and also bought some fresh apricots (3$) from another vendor. Regarding the latter, I learned that the smaller, redder ones tend to be sweeter, and that it's best to keep them in the fridge. Along with jam and Nutella, it made for a lovely late breakfast on the porch. D wasn't too sure about the apricots at first, but she warmed to them today.


A couple of evenings and one morning of sewing yielded a new pillowcase dress for D, which is unfortunately a bit big (I took it in a little today, just in time for church), but adorable all the same. She happened to have her toenails painted a lovely aquamarine- a reward for being a good girl at our midwife appointment on Wednesday- and was wearing pink sandals that matched the ribbon beautifully! She got a little frustrated in the car on the way home and started unravelling the ribbon, though, so I had to trim it as best I could. I'll need to get some clear nail polish on it before the next wash or wear. I love the fabric; we bought it in Australia over Christmas, and there was actually enough for two dresses, the second of which is in the works.


Finally, D got to meet a lovely dog named Abby that our friends Mark and Val rescued. She reminds me of my family's first dog, Lucy, who was really good around little kids, and didn't bark or lick or jump up on them. D was thoroughly enchanted, and affected a high voice when speaking to the dog. We had a delicious all-BBQ meal (chicken, asparagus, peppers, sweet potato) and these amazing chocolate-cream cheese cupcakes for dessert. Hubby arrived in time for those.

Today was a relaxing day, for the most part. It was too hot to take D outdoors (41 with the humidex), and she was pretty tired anyway, so she and Hubby watched Cars and napped on the couch. For my part, I got some knitting and cleaning done, and thanks to a prudent heads-up from Hubby, got the laundry down from the line just before the crazy rain started. It was so windy that all kinds of tree and leaf bits got blown into the basket. Apparently one of the stages at Bluesfest collapsed, too! I was glad to get inside, I must say. At least it kept the mosquitoes away from me!

Coming up this week: an attempt at getting through some paperwork, hopefully more sewing, definitely some knitting (I'm almost done a friend's baby blanket, and I've picked up my dad's Aran sweater again), and many a splash pad visit to combat the heat. There are four days where the forecast is in the 30s. And to end the week, a special secret date that Hubby's been planning for months now, even arranging babysitting! I can't wait to find out where we're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment