Thursday, August 4, 2011

Keep the change

The old bank account is dwindling (though my TSFA is still slowly collecting interest-a cool 118.99$ since March 2010), and I feel like I've been picking up loose change everywhere in the house and the car lately. A few years ago, well before D was in the picture, I rolled a bunch of coins and decided to save them for a rainy day, or maybe a date night. Today, I decided, was that day, though it was a blistering 29 degrees when I walked to Dollarama and then the bank with the girls in tow. I searched through the bags of coin wrappers until I found the one with the most penny wrappers (I had 5 wrappers' worth, and this way I avoided spending more than 1.13$ of my hard-fought change). Then I sat down to transfer the coins I'd sorted the night before from their respective tiny Tupperware containers into the appropriate wrappers. I thought about asking the Dollarama clerk if she would trade me bills for my change, but decided against it and walked to the bank down the road. The girls were champs during all this, although they must have used up their daily quota of good behaviour, as the rest of the day was a write-off.

I should mention that I don't have an account with the bank I stopped at, but they still were happy to take my change. I had counted it up a few different times, and thought I had around 50$, so you can imagine my delight when the teller informed me I had 70$ worth of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters! It's not a tremendous amount, considering it's been collected over the past five years or so, but it's something, and it's all going into my bank account!

No comments:

Post a Comment