Monday, September 12, 2011

A hearty meal for early fall

There's this recipe I had been meaning to ask my mom for, and I kept forgetting. It's for a simple chicken dish that we had growing up. This summer, a couple of my cousins put together a cookbook of family recipes for another cousin who got married, and I found the chicken recipe in there! One of my aunts had submitted it, so it's obviously something my grandma served to my mom and her sisters when they were growing up. Chicken thighs were on sale this week (6.50$ for ten!), so I decided to give it a go, seeing as all the other ingredients were also on hand. I used a pack of bone-in, skin-on, which is why they were so cheap; next time I'd opt for boneless skinless to avoid the time-consuming process of de-boning the thighs, although I'm using them to make stock. Also, instead of serving it with rice, we had mashed potatoes.

Chicken Thigh Sauté

2 lbs of chicken thighs
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1 Tbsp oil
1 medium onion, chopped (in the food processor if you have picky eaters)
5 large carrots, sliced (originally called for two, but we love carrots)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup hot water (I doubled it because I like the broth)

Stir together flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. Dredge thighs in flour mixture until lightly coated.

Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat; cook thighs for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.

Add onion and carrots to frying pan and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add soy sauce and hot water, and stir.

Simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. Steamed broccoli or green beans would also make great sides, if you have them on hand.

1 comment: