Monday, October 3, 2011

Serendipitous soup

If it's a cold, wet day in autumn, then I must be making soup! Today's offering is a lovely roast tomato soup, the recipe for which comes from an Australian cookbook I got for Christmas from my awesome in-laws. (Another favourite recipe from there: passionfruit shortbread. And yes, it's even better than it sounds.) It calls for a lot of tomatoes, which I don't usually buy en masse unless I'm planning to make this soup. However, yesterday my parents found themselves with an abundance of tomatoes, and they passed most of them along to me. They also had bought a roast chicken on Saturday, and I'm using the bones to make stock, along with water from vegetables I cooked for dinner last night. So there was the other main ingredient. The tomatoes have been drizzled with oil, salt and pepper, and they are presently cooling as the stock keeps boiling away in the crock pot. This should be a very delicious dinner indeed. I just need a protein side... devilled eggs, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment