Tuesday, October 4, 2011

When making lasagna is a good idea

Ordinarily, I don't find making lasagna from scratch to be very effective in terms of cost or time; it's certainly more delicious and probably healthier, but when you can buy one for around 6.99$, it's not really cheaper. At least not for me. Although I do usually have some of the basics like ground beef, crushed tomatoes, and the required seasonings, I don't tend to keep things like cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, and lasagna noodles around. Buying those three things alone will generally run you over 7$.

But this time around, I actually had mozzarella from last time cheese went on sale, and I had lasagna noodles in the cupboard (they were the kind you have to boil, which is why they had been there so long; on the plus side, they were whole wheat), and cottage cheese was on sale last grocery shop. We had ample ground beef in the freezer, and everything else as well, including parsley to sprinkle on top! In typical nesting fashion, I made two lasagne: one for dinner tonight (of which we only finished half), and one for the freezer. I'm going to say that my pre-Cashew cooking is done now. Baking is an entirely different story.

Here's the final tally:
-roasted butternut squash soup
-turkey leek barley soup
-2 turkey pot pies
-lasagna

No comments:

Post a Comment