Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Festive weekend

Now that the Christmas season is upon us, we have ample occasion to spend time at special events with family and friends. For instance, here was our weekend:
-Christmas fair-trade bazaar at my aunt's church on Saturday afternoon (my mom and I took D and M)
-The Singing Christmas Tree at Bethel Pentecostal on Saturday night. I go every year, even last year I took in an early performance before leaving for Australia; this was Maeve's first time going, and she was a champ! She was quiet and even slept through some of it, although she waited until the pastor's brief wrap-up at evening's end (i.e. the quietest part of the performance) to have a very loud bowel movement.
-Visiting a Christmas tree farm on Sunday afternoon with my parents; it was so much fun! We had a hay ride out to the field, walked around enjoying the beautiful weather and chose a tree, and had hot chocolate upon our return. This would be a fun tradition for any family, I think. We saw families of various stages there, from newborns (okay, just ours) to teenagers to grown children (like myself).


-The children's program at our church on Sunday night; D and her 2-3 year old compatriots were singing Away In A Manger, complete with actions (in the photo above, D is rocking an imaginary baby Jesus). The practice on Saturday morning was a gong show, with only a handful of kids actually singing or doing the actions, never mind combining the two. But on Sunday night, most of them had it together, including my beautiful daughter, who was a vision in her flower girl dress, this time with a red bolero. The kids were adorable, singing their little hearts out about baby Jesus. Kudos to the organizing moms, Bethany and Victoria!

Of course, all this made for a very exhausted family, mostly D. She went to bed at 7:30 and slept in til 9 the next morning, and has been having very long naps this week, probably to make up for what she missed on the weekend.

I am a mom, so I took a video of D practicing her song, just in case she chose not to at the actual performance. Appreciate the subtleties of the discordant harmonies she improvised.


No comments:

Post a Comment