Saturday, July 7, 2012

Dissimilar sisters

Remember the time when D crawled up the stairs before we had baby gates? Well, because I have a blog, I can look back and see exactly when that was. August 14, 2010. Today Miss M, who started crawling at 6 months and pulling herself up at 7 months, made her way right up those same stairs. D was ten months old at the time; M is just eight.

This is just one of many points of contrast between my girls. M naps well during the day, but has only slept through the night a couple of times. D never napped in her crib (only in her swing or my arms), but she was sleeping through the night at four or five months (granted, her bedtime was much later). M started rolling over at four months; D never really rolled enough to make it into the baby book. Actually, when M started rolling, I asked D if she could do that as well, and I had to demonstrate what I meant! The girls look pretty different, too; although their colouring is similar (deep blue eyes, light brown hair), M's dimple distinguishes her smile. And overall, their features are just not that alike. Funny enough, D looks like one of my sisters, and M looks like my brother! I don't know why I'm so surprised; they are entirely different people, and have been from the start. There are so few pictures where they look alike that I've made a folder called "Similar Sisters"; it has all of five photos. This is not one of them.


My favourite milestone is coming soon, or so I hope. In early July 2010, when D was just nine months old, she woke up from a nap in Daddy's arms, looked straight over at me and said, "Mama." I can't wait to hear what M's first word will be. Probably "Go!" or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment