Friday, September 28, 2012

Knits for kids

If I could, I'd knit for every pregnant friend and acquaintance of mine. With the constraints on my time these days, however, I have to knit selectively, and it does tend to be for first babies. 

Exhibit A: HB-inspired Baby Sophisticate sweater



We have friends from New Zealand who just had a baby boy in the summer; my mom, my sister Hannah and I put together a care package to welcome him to the world. My contribution was meant to be Canadian, but in an understated, non-red-Maple-Leaf way. (Not that I have anything against the maple leaf, it's just hard to knit them into things, and red wool can sometimes bleed colour. That would be no favour to a new mom.) So I worked up this version of Linden Down's Baby Sophisticate jacket, this time using the colour scheme from the famous Hudson Bay four points blanket, which I found out later was made from a blend of Canadian and New Zealand wools! Does it look familiar? I made the same one for baby M about a year ago. Incidentally, it only just now fits her, dainty thing that she is. (I miss my chubby baby!)



Exhibit B: Sweet Pea cardigan & hat

My friend Kyra and her husband Matt are having their first baby, a girl, this fall. Kyra was so sweet and generous when both my girls were born, and I knew I wanted to make something special for her daughter. This was a pattern I already had. I asked Kyra's opinion on a colour, and then I bought the most beautiful yarn I could find. It's an incredibly soft bamboo blend.



Exhibit C: Birthday Fair Isle

This one's for my very own firstborn, and as another first, D chose the colours for this sweater. She is likely unaware that most almost-three-year-old girls would name purple and pink as their favourite colours. This was a quick knit, just three weeks. For maximum wear potential, it's made of acrylic yarn. Spoiler alert: M's getting one for her birthday, too, but with pink as the main colour.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Becky! Beautiful knitting! The Hudson Bay blanket inspired sweater reminded me of Ken McLaughlin and his Hudson Bay blanket coat. So lovely! And you are right about pink and purple being the fav colours of 3 year old girls- a few in my class would agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm playing catch-up on your blog, Becky and I'm super proud of that Fair Isle. I have yet to attempt it. Frankly, I look at a pattern and see tangled balls of yarn and a head smack as the final product. And I think that Hudson Bay coat is so adorable. And the perfect amount of Canadian without being overtly patriotic.

    ReplyDelete