Thursday, November 15, 2012

Greatest granola of all

My new cookbook has now been in my possession for seven days, and it has yet to find its way into the cupboard. I've either looked at it, read it for fun, or cooked from it, every day. Today's offering: the best granola I've ever made! Although I prefer making granola to buying it, mine has tended to be lightly burnt and not very clumpy. (I don't like what it says about my kitchen intelligence quotient that I didn't previously think to lower the oven temperature, and not over-stir the mixture, as the cookbook advises.) Also, I very much appreciate that no more than two tablespoons of oil were used, and no more than half a cup of syrup. Granola need not be packed with fat and sugar. 



The whole house smelled amazing while the granola was in the oven, and it came out beautifully. I did my best to follow the recipe and not substitute anything (like spelt flakes for oat, or honey for maple syrup), but I didn't have any walnuts, so I used pumpkin seeds. I thought that, at worst, it would mean fewer clusters. Happily, it did not.



We had quite a delicious day, actually! The girls are both a bit sick, so we've been staying home most of the week. Today, they played fairly happily while I knit or cooked. Besides the granola (which we had with yogurt, and later with stewed apples), there were oven potato chips with fish sticks and peas, and butternut squash soup with honey-oat rolls.

Finally, if anyone was worried about my lost knitting, it has been located. This is not it...



...but that's some of what I'm working on these days. Neither of these things are for knitters, so I feel it's safe to show them on here. I don't think it's obvious to non-knitters what either one is. (Knitters, no spoilers, please!)

So, to sum up, I love my new cookbook and I am not good at finishing knitting projects these days. And I don't even feel bad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment