Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Birthday Extravaganza, November Edition

In October, of course, we had Canadian Thanksgiving and D's birthday. And this past weekend, we celebrated (albeit early) American Thanksgiving and Hubby's birthday! Our dear friends Mandy, Morgan and Sarah made the trek from Southern Ontario for this year's festivities, and it was a tremendous weekend. We included my brother-in-law because Hannah was in Toronto visiting for a conference (and sister time with Rach- yes, I was a bit jealous!), and also because he's a UW grad like the rest of our guests. 

M was nonplussed by my pigtail attempt
A good-looking bunch of people ready to tuck into a turkey dinner
Apples to Apples: which of the red cards would you choose to represent calm?
Mandy won the game by playing this card. And by winning 16 other rounds.
Hubby's birthday cake on Sunday
For this year's birthday cake, Hubby had seen a picture online of a cake he would like, which you can see replicated here. It's his usual favourite, rainbow bits cake with blue icing, this time with a candy exterior. I am very glad to say that this was all Halloween candy, and I did not pay full price. 

Our beautiful hutch!
And just because we didn't have enough going on that weekend, on Sunday when my parents brought over bagels for lunch, we got rid of our old bookcase and brought in a new-to-us hutch. (A patient of my dad's had been trying to sell it, and finally decided to give it away.) This meant sorting through all our books and getting rid of some older ones, a task I left until Monday. Considering that the old bookcase about as deep but not nearly as wide, we had packed a lot of books onto it! I much prefer this new display, and as an added bonus, M can't get into the drawers or cabinets, so she can't pull books off the shelves anymore. The middle drawers house our photo albums and yearbooks, and one side cabinet holds stationary and colouring implements. The other side is empty for the moment, but it won't take me long to hide some clutter in there.

The toss pile
My teaching books and binders, soon to be boxed up and stored in the basement

No comments:

Post a Comment