Thursday, March 28, 2013

My curly girl

The other day, I was thinking how cute it would be to curl D's hair; she's three and a half, and she loves playing dress-up, getting her toenails painted, all that jazz. First, I checked if she was interested, and she was. So, the next time we happened to be at Dollarama, we picked up some foam rollers for her hair. I may have overestimated how many we'd need. They come in packs of eight, and I bought five. We barely cracked the second pack.


D is not always the most patient kid when it comes to her hair, so I wanted to put the odds in my favour. I watched a how-to video to get some tips, and then set her up in front of my laptop with an episode of her beloved Madeline. She had wet hair (not washed or conditioned, just wet) from the bath which I blow-dried a little, then I carefully parted it and got to work. Her hair is so much more cooperative when it's a bit damp, I must say. I used eleven rollers in total, being mindful of leaving them loose enough so she could sleep on them comfortably. It took maybe twenty minutes.


This was a very low-risk trial run. I was nervous that she might wake up in the night if the rollers were uncomfortable, or if she tried to change out of her nightgown and got her head stuck (I did warn her against trying this). I figured if she had any trouble, I'd just pull the rollers out. It's not like we were going anywhere in the morning, and we hadn't curled her hair for a special occasion. D slept well and was up at 6:30, earlier than I'd prefer. After breakfast, we took the rollers out, bottom-to-top, and I finger-combed the curls out. Her hair is cut straight across, and the lack of layers made it easy to curl the hair, but with a result of extreme sideways volume. She wouldn't let me pin pieces back from her face, but later in the day she compromised with a ponytail.

For the first little while, she was running and bouncing around, presumably because she liked the feeling of the curls. She enjoyed the results enough that she's going to let me do her hair like this for Easter Sunday.

That is a lot of hair!

Super pleased with her bouncy curls

M gets in on the fanciness

Partying like it's 7:39 am

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! You have two very pretty girls!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet post. I am a new and happy follower.
    Elle
    bodybyzen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete