Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cute Chapters craft

My girls always tend to have better days when we have an out-of-the-house activity in the morning, whether it's a play date, park visit, play group, or even errands to run. Today was a bit rainy, so we made our way to Chapters for story time; they have them every day at 10, and they're free to attend, but can be pretty busy. I counted over thirty kids, not to mention parents. They were doing a beach-themed day, and the staff had picked out beachy books and songs and organized a super-cute craft. D only made it about halfway through the craft before M got antsy and we had to leave. We were able to finish it at home.



Cut a rectangular castle shape out of sandpaper.

Use coloured chalk to decorate it.

Curl the finished castle around a plastic cup, and secure with a rubber band.

D really want to put stickers and tape on hers, however, regular adhesive wouldn't stay on. I couldn't tell you what kind of stickers they had at Chapters, but they are firmly stuck. That being said, I don't think I'd want that type in my house!

The other nice thing about being at story time in a store is that M had lots of things to play with as she walked around during story time: toy shopping carts, the loot bag toy display, a train table, and all the other toys they had in the kids' section. Oddly, she stayed away from books. Anyway, it made for a reasonably fun morning which would otherwise have been spent indoors.

We went next door to Walmart afterwards to buy buttons for D's Kindergarten cardigan. As a knitter mom, I feel that covering my child in stitches is akin to offering protection against the unknown. You know, knitting someone a sweater is saying "I love you" 10 000 times. Even if that sweater is made of three different types of acrylic yarn. These are the same heart buttons that I bought for her flower girl sweater, almost two years ago. D tried her new sweater on yesterday, and it's ludicrously big, but that beats the alternative. She was delighted with it, so am I, and that's all that matters.


3 comments:

  1. I shall dub the sweater a kindergarty cardy. It's beautiful Beckster. Missing you tonnes right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I demand a picture of her wearing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting! I enjoyed reading your great post.Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have shared here. Mediterranean Landscape

    ReplyDelete