Saturday, September 7, 2013

Settling into fall

While most families are celebrating the end of the first week of school, we're still waiting on the first day. D and I went to meet her teachers (one English, one French; they trade off each week) on Friday, and met a couple of her classmates as well. Next week she'll go in for half the day, and the week after that she starts on the bus. She seemed to enjoy seeing the classroom and playing with the toys, so I'm not too worried about her settling in.

In the meantime, I've got lots to keep me occupied at home! I'm very much looking forward to mornings with M, and I'm wondering if I might be brave enough to enrol her in gymnastics or swimming (keeping in mind that I will have to participate in any such activity!). I'm also co-teaching a class at the women's Bible study at church, so that's pretty prep-intensive. And finally, there's all the usual housework and crafting. We were the happy recipients of a hand-me-down bedroom set, and the desk was too big for D's room, so we set it up in the basement. It's the perfect size for a sewing work station, and there's even a power outlet in the right spot on the wall to accommodate both the sewing machine and my laptop! Handily enough, the iron and ironing board are already in the same room. Now when I haul out my sewing machine, I don't have to put it away. The desk has three drawers, so that's where my meager fabric collection goes, along with the few notions and patterns I've gathered. Who knows, maybe I'll go crazy and sew more than once a year?

Here's what I managed to make today during the girls' nap: the Little Man Bow-tie Onesie. It was that rare pattern that was easy and quick for a novice like me. I bought three plain white onesies, and used a scrap of fabric left over from a pillowcase dress.


This week's selection from the toy library (I have to photograph it immediately before the girls play with it, so that I can make sure to get all the pieces together before returning it!). It's been a big hit.



Who wouldn't love to spend the morning with this crazy broad? She's super.




No comments:

Post a Comment