Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chicken stock for dunces

And I include myself in the dunce category when it comes to chicken stock. I love me a good roast chicken (or beer can chicken), especially when it only costs me 6$. You can get at least two meals from the meat alone, and maybe one or two more from any stock. Every time I've tried to make stock from the carcass of a leftover chicken or turkey, I mess it up. Either it's too watery, or the pot boils dry, or something like that. Well, no more. I enlisted my crockpot, stuck the old bag of bones in it, covered it with water, and set it to high for 4 hours. My crockpot is kind of for dunces, too: the settings are 4 hrs on high, 6 hrs on high, 8 hrs on low or 10 hrs on low. In case you were wondering, here are some of the many uses for chicken stock:

-flavouring soups (and soup season is upon us, people! Bring on the root vegetables!)
-making chicken pot pie filling
-cooking rice/barley
-making gravy (for hot chicken sandwich leftovers, or homemade poutine)
-anything involving cooking something in water that would taste more delicious if chicken were involved

Also works for turkey, except it yields way more stock. I will be freezing mine once it's done in an hour.
Here's a cuter chicken that I would never roast:

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I never thought of using the crockpot for this. I love the crockpot. Definitely going to do this next chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog post worth a read just for that adorable picture. And i miss your comments on my blog. HINT HINT.

    ReplyDelete