Sunday, October 17, 2010

Superdate

Hubby and I just had the best date in ages! And, although it will probably never happen this way again, it was quite inexpensive.
Here's what made our evening special:
-my parents babysat for baby D, and even though she didn't nap or eat much today (she gets like that sometimes), she was still great! Also, my dad lent us his Mustang.
-when my father-in-law was here on a visit a few weeks ago, he left us his remaining Canadian dollars to treat us to a date (or several, as the case has been). We ordered pizza and watched a movie last night, and today we went to our favourite Thai restaurant (Pad Ki Mow for both of us) and then a place in Little Italy for dessert (pumpkin cheesecake for me, a chocolate eclair for the Hubs)
-I won tickets from a local radio station to a concert I wanted to see anyway! This never happens. It's like when my mom found her ideal shoes in her size and on sale. Plus the venue was one that I'd heard good things about, and it's operated by a family in our church.
-the concert was amazing! The opening act was Isobelle Gunn, a fantastic folk trio from Southern Ontario. I would have bought their CD if I'd had any cash on me. Jacob Moon was the main act, and even though I've seen him a couple of times before, he just gets better and better. He doesn't play with a band (although he jammed with Isobelle Gunn on a few songs), but rather loops his guitar to make intricate patterns that back him up. He did a jazz song that was mind-blowing, a bunch of neat covers (Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes, Emmylou Harris' The Pearl-my personal fave, and Bill Hornsby's Changes-Hubby's personal fave), and of course lots of originals along with the stories that inspired them
-an unexpected bonus: one of our favourite couples was in attendance, so we sat with them and had a grand time
-at dinner and in the car, Hubby and I did not restrict our conversation to baby D, but discussed a wide range of topics, including the arts, the place of government funding in general, the upcoming municipal election, how cool my dad's car is (a monologue by Hubby), and more.

Sometimes everything just comes together beautifully, and tonight was one of those times! Thanks, parents, parents-in-law, and especially Hubby!
-

1 comment:

  1. The name Jacob reminds me of Jacobine (pronounced Yacobeem) from Zoolander.

    ReplyDelete