Monday, October 18, 2010

Fun fall picnic

Today, baby D and I are enjoying a rare day at home: it's just the two of us, we have no errands to run, and the house is pretty clean. We slept in til 8, and after breakfast, we had a relaxing morning of playing, reading and knitting. Here's baby D modelling a hat I just finished for my sister's best friend Candice.

For lunch, I decided to do something I've wanted to do every sunny day this autumn: have a picnic out on our front porch. Hubby and his dad extended it by a good three feet this spring, and baby D and I sat out there quite a bit in the summer (she in an exersaucer, I in a camp chair- we're not classy enough for proper deck furniture yet). I fixed lunch while D waited patiently in her booster seat, making little squeaks to encourage my haste. As soon as lunch was ready, I moved her outside to the porch, then brought out our food. For her: tiny cheese planks, tofu in a tomato reduction, baked apples with cinnamon, and grapes. For me: vegetable soup, crackers and cheese, apple crisp (generously doled out because that was the last of it), and tea.

It started out wonderfully, as we were sitting in the sun, but then the winds picked up and it became unpleasantly cold. Rather than admitting defeat and heading inside, we adjourned to the garage, which Hubby had recently tidied out in order to fit my car during the winter months. We still had a fair bit of sun to keep us warm, and we were sheltered from the wind, so there we finished up our lunch and sat for a bit before coming back inside to get cleaned up. Another huge benefit was that D ate almost all of her lunch! She didn't have much of an appetite this weekend, after eating everything she could get her mitts on in the past couple of weeks.


I'm a little sad we didn't do this sooner, but at least we got one little picnic in before it got too cold! That being said, baby D's hands are still very chilly and her nose is running a bit... but she didn't complain when we were outside!

Finally, just so you don't think our day has been all sunshine and fun, from the fact that D is refusing to sit down as well as a certain distinct smell, I can confirm that she has dirtied her third diaper of the day. This may be some kind of record.

2 comments:

  1. don't even start talking about getting garages ready for snow!
    I'M NOT READY!!!
    Mentally, Physically or Garageally...I'm just not ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that hat on Daph she is so stylish! And her meals sound so healthy, good on ya!

    ReplyDelete