Saturday, April 16, 2011

Election reflections

Far be it from me to claim that I'm extremely well-versed in politics; that being said, I have to speak out on two election-related points. Maybe three.

1. On the choice not to vote: I've heard a number of people say that they don't vote because they're not informed, and an uninformed vote is worse than not voting at all. I respectfully disagree; I don't see why it has to be either one of those. With the amount of content available online, not to mention the more traditional media of radio and TV, there isn't much reason not to be informed. Granted, every media outlet has its special bias, but you can always go directly to a given party's platform.

As for voter apathy, I honestly do not understand it on any level. Do you pay taxes? Do you want to have some control over how your tax dollars are spent, or whether you have to pay more tax? Do you want a federal leader who will represent your country well? So go vote.

Just the other day, I saw a question on a friend's Facebook wall that just floored me. "Are you going to vote?" How is that even a question? (Maybe I should assume the person was being facetious.) I've seen lots of "who are you going to vote for" and the like. But honestly, how many people around the world don't even have the option of choosing their government? "Are you going to vote?" "Are you KIDDING me?"

2. I am highly skeptical of CBC's Vote Compass. I've seen one young person after another suggest it on Facebook, and I'm concerned, first, that this is becoming a generation's way of getting "informed" (i.e. told who to vote for), and second, that this is a liberal media outlet's way of trying to sway the young vote. I imagine a sinister motive like this: "it takes way too much effort to follow what's actually happening in the elections, not to mention read each party's platform. I mean, there are FOUR major parties. That takes valuable time away from social networking. So here, take a fun quiz and find out who you really want to vote for!" This may or may not be the case. I do enjoy CBC (and particularly Q, As It Happens, All in a Day, etc.), but I'm also made quite aware of its bias when I tune in to its programs.

I should probably mention why I'm so skeptical. Aside from a number of other articles and reports on the apparent bias, that is. A local DJ had a call-in show about the Vote Compass, and people kept remarking that they were coming up Liberal from their answers. A Conservative MP emailed and said that he had been present for 100% of the House votes, and consistently voted with his party; he took the Vote Compass, and it said he was to vote Liberal!

To close, here are links to the four major parties' platforms, and hey, why not, the Greens, too. In alphabetical order.

Bloc Québécois
(click on Plateforme electorale to download their platform in English or French)

Conservative Party of Canada

Green Party

Liberal Party of Canada

New Democrat Party

Baby D demands that you vote!

1 comment:

  1. A well done post Becky, and I whole heartedly agree!

    ReplyDelete