Friday, April 8, 2011

Signs of life

Hubby had a look at the peat pods last night before bed and remarked, "are some of those sprouting?" I replied, with all the confidence of a longtime gardener, "no way, it's only been a few days." Then I went over to take a peek and what do you know? The zucchini and tomato seeds had both sprouted! This morning, this was further progress:


ALL the seeds have sprouted! I suppose this is to be expected, but I haven't seen such rapid growth since I put a loaf of bread next to ripening bananas and avocados. Two days and that bread was unusable. Sprouted seedlings are much more encouraging than white mold, to be sure. My instructions have me now prop the dome open and continue watering "when peat pellets turn light brown." I haven't really seen them turn light brown, so every couple of days, I spritz them with the spray bottle I use for blocking knitted garments. I want to be careful not to coddle the little seedlings, though. I read ahead in the instructions, and the process of getting the plants acclimated to the outdoors seems quite involved. I will continue being brave and trying not to kill my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment