Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Year of No New Yarn 2.0

To recap, here's the yarn I started out with:

And here's what I have today:


Plus this. (The Wool-Ease was purchased for me, the beige was a gift, and the gold and navy were bought in January. All legit.)


Now, let's see what that yarn turned into. Starting with big things.

Sweaters:

 Mum-in-law's mohair sweater, finished in January.


 My Blackberry cardigan, finished in April.














Hubby's Old-Man Cardy, finished this week.


M's Delilah dress, finished in September.



D's Kindergarten cardigan, finished in July


D's Whirligig Shrug, finished in May


Mom's Tangled Ribs, finished in May (despite appearances here; my mom wears it a lot, just never when I have a camera around)

Socks:


Mom's Jaywalkers, finished in January


Diana's Striped socks (pre-washing and blocking, hence the distorted look), finished in May

Now, some smaller accessories:



Rachel's Fingerless gloves (above, finished in February for her birthday) and a braided headband to match (below, finished in August). 



Gryffindor hat for baby Griffin, finished in April













Lucas' football hat, finished in February

 

Hubby's Koolhaas hat, finished in March.


D's bow headband, finished in October

 

Cottage dolls, finished in July, moved to their new home a few weeks ago.

 

Then there was that bunch of finishing I did for the late Frances. I didn't manage to take before and after pictures for everything, but here's what it typically looked like:



In all, there were five things I finished. That green dress at the bottom was the trickiest; there was only one sleeve knit, so I had to figure out the gauge and the pattern and replicate it.

 

 

 


I sewed a bit this year, or gave the illusion of doing so. Here are tutus I made for the girls, which are now quite ratty, but looked splendid when they were freshly finished.


 

I made two of these bow-tie onesies, one for a cousin and one for a friend. I guess I should add one for my new nephew!



Not pictured in the knitting roundup: 
-two sets of Aviatrix hats and bootees (one in gray, one in green)
-two Baby Sophisticates (one in Hudson Bay colours, one in pink)
-two pairs of gray fingerless gloves with pullover caps (one for Hubby, one for my brother)
-a beard hat
-Hubby's black socks
-a pair of fingerless pullover gloves and eternity scarf for my crafty gift exchange recipient, Sarah 
-two cabled hats (a red one for a little guy named Zach, and a purple one for me)

I'm pretty sure I knit more this year than I did in 2010, on my last year of no yarn. And that was when I only had D to look after! I'm very pleased with what I was able to accomplish, and with the bit of space I've gained from condensing the yarn stash. I have plans for some of what's left, including sending some off to the thrift store. I figure if I've had it for more than two years and I haven't made something of it, I'm not likely to.

The very first things for which I bought yarn in 2014 have been baby sweaters, and that trend will definitely continue. I have my nephew to consider, and my own baby, as well as about half a dozen others that are due this year. My next yarn ban will have to wait for a couple of years, I think!

3 comments:

  1. I finally made it into your blog!! Yay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do love those socks, they're my favourite! You and Jasmine are the most productive knitters I know, beautiful stuff Becky! I love that dress you made for M, and the bow headband for D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What colours did you use for the Gryffindor hat? They're perfect and I've been looking into making myself some mittens. :)

    ReplyDelete