Monday, February 29, 2016

Leaps and bounds

Four years ago, I wondered where we'd be today. And funnily enough, last night we were talking about plans at the dinner table. M wanted to know what I'd be doing today, and I said I wasn't sure. Probably chores. I also told her that there was an old saying that if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

This morning, we woke up to our fourth snow day of the year, due to ice, rather than snow.  So it's been far from a typical day. I've learned from the three previous snow days this year that one needs to have a plan. Ours was:
-paint
-practice printing (M) and writing (D)
-make soup
-read
-play outside


Our day so far has consisted of getting breakfast, cleaning up from breakfast, folding laundry while the kids played, setting up painting, doing the actual painting, cleaning up after painting, getting snacks, making lunch, putting the kids down for quiet time, showering, and having my lunch. I had more help than usual due to our exchange student from Germany, who is a dear. She unloads the dishwasher every morning, and today she helped make the soup for lunch, doing all the washing, peeling, and chopping of potatoes and carrots.

We are still in the same house, having moved in almost exactly seven years ago, and it is filled to capacity. The girls share a room, G has the nursery, and our student is set up in the basement spare room. Hubby relocated his study to the laundry room. We still have the van, although it's been almost more of a curse than a blessing the past three winters. The sliding doors open and close unreliably, sometimes opening when we're driving. Instead of the Elantra, we've had a Fiesta for the past few years (4 in May). Most days, which definitely includes today, I believe we are done having kids. The girls are both in school, and I am looking at returning to teaching on a supply basis. I have an interview coming up in a few days to get on the supply list for French. And speaking of French, there has been a lot more of it around here. I had abandoned trying to teach the girls, but I've taken it up with Gavin. That should help Hubby out with the French course he`s planning to take this summer to complete his degree requirements. One last big change has been moving from our home church of 28 years to help plant a new church in the area where I grew up. We love serving there, meeting and talking with old friends and new arrivals, and hearing the Word of God preached every week.

Next leap day, D will be 10 (!), M will be 8 (!) and G will be 5 (!). I can't imagine what life will be like then.

No comments:

Post a Comment